- 1 Is Ethiopia dangerous to visit?
- 2 What should I know before going to Ethiopia?
- 3 How much does it cost to go to Ethiopia?
- 4 Is Ethiopia expensive to visit?
- 5 Is Ethiopia famous for anything?
- 6 What is the highest paying job in Ethiopia?
- 7 How dangerous is Addis Ababa?
- 8 Why are things more expensive in Ethiopia?
- 9 What language does Ethiopia speak?
- 10 What should I wear in Ethiopia?
- 11 Can I use US dollars in Ethiopia?
- 12 Is Addis Ababa expensive?
- 13 How much does a meal cost in Ethiopia?
- 14 When should I visit Ethiopia?
- 15 What money do they use in Ethiopia?
Is Ethiopia dangerous to visit?
Crime, kidnapping, armed conflict, and the potential for ethnic conflict exist near the Ethiopian borders with Sudan and South Sudan. Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas. Terrorists, particularly Al-Shabaab, maintain a presence in this area, and ethnic conflict has been reported. 6
What should I know before going to Ethiopia?
20 Things to Know Before you Visit Ethiopia
- Save on flights by booking with Ethiopian Airways.
- If this is your first time visiting, focus your efforts on the North or South of Ethiopia.
- Only book tours and transfers in advance if you are short on time.
- Pack the essentials, especially if leaving the cities.
How much does it cost to go to Ethiopia?
You should plan to spend around ETB2,588 ($60) per day on your vacation in Ethiopia, which is the average daily price based on the expenses of other visitors. Past travelers have spent, on average, ETB672 ($16) on meals for one day and ETB287 ($6.67) on local transportation.
Is Ethiopia expensive to visit?
Largely because of the need for guides and tours, Ethiopia is not SUPER cheap (read. it’s still pretty cheap) to travel in. Accommodation costs can mount up, as can the long domestic travel distances and “tourist tax” is common! Food and drinks however remains crazily cheap and delicious!
Is Ethiopia famous for anything?
Ethiopia is known as the Cradle of Mankind, with some of the earliest ancestors found buried in the soil. Lucy (3.5 million years old), the most famous fossils found, were unearthed in Hadar. Ethiopia is home to 9 UNESCO World Heritage sites, more than any other country in Africa.
What is the highest paying job in Ethiopia?
- Surgeons / Doctors. Salary Range: from 16,200 ETB to 51,600 ETB.
- Judges. Salary Range: from 13,600 ETB to 43,400 ETB.
- Lawyers. Salary Range: from 11,000 ETB to 35,100 ETB.
- Bank Managers. Salary Range: from 10,400 ETB to 33,000 ETB.
- Chief Executive Officers.
- Chief Financial Officers.
- College Professors.
How dangerous is Addis Ababa?
Violent crime in Addis Ababa is fortunately rare, particularly where visitors are concerned. However, petty theft and confidence tricks are problematic. The Merkato has the worst reputation for pickpockets – targeting foreigners and Ethiopians. Don’t let any of this scare you, though – Addis is generally very safe.
Why are things more expensive in Ethiopia?
The Ethiopian Revenues and Customs Authority says both commercial and private vehicles imported into the country can be subjected to five different types of taxes. Once all taxes are added to an imported car’s price tag, it could cost nearly three times more than the retail price in its country of origin.
What language does Ethiopia speak?
Amharic is one of the country’s principal languages and is native to the central and northwestern areas. Gurage and Hareri are spoken by relatively few people in the south and east. The most prominent Cushitic languages are Oromo, Somali, and Afar.
What should I wear in Ethiopia?
For women, the ideal dress would be a long flowing shirt and dress that covers the shoulders and knees. Trousers are also fine (though few local women wear them except in Addis Ababa) but shorts or sleeveless tops are not really acceptable, especially in Islamic areas and rural settings.
Can I use US dollars in Ethiopia?
As with many African countries the US dollar is the preferred foreign currency in Ethiopia although the euro is also very easy to exchange. According to National Bank of Ethiopia regulations, all bills in Ethiopia must be paid in birr.
Is Addis Ababa expensive?
A single person estimated monthly costs are 821$ without rent. Addis Ababa is 43.43% less expensive than New York (without rent). Rent in Addis Ababa is, on average, 83.06% lower than in New York.
How much does a meal cost in Ethiopia?
Cost of Living in Ethiopia
|Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant||3.00$|
|Meal for 2 People, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course||20.00$|
|McMeal at McDonalds (or Equivalent Combo Meal )||3.44$|
|Domestic Beer (1 pint draught)||0.75$|
When should I visit Ethiopia?
The best time to visit Ethiopia is Sep-April, but particularly at either end of the rains – in April, when the land is dry and barren, or as it flourishes again in Sep-Oct. This green season is also best for highland wildlife. Rains replenish the Omo Valley even sooner – so travel Nov-Mar or Jun-Sep.
What money do they use in Ethiopia?
The Ethiopian birr, the national currency of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, is issued by the National Bank of Ethiopia, which manages its value through a dirty float. Each birr subdivides into 100 santims.